23 June 2009

veggie (burger) tales


i was chatting with a good friend of mine when he alerted me to the description of the veggie burger at http://www.fivenapkinburger.com/.



if you can't read it, it says:

"This will make your girlfriend happy. Housemade with 5N sauce, b&b pickles, lettuce & tomato on a multi grain roll. Now if you'd just hand over that remote...."

seriously? only straight, partnered girls are vegetarians? and are we really going to play these same fucking gender themes? and what does this all have to do with selling me a veggie burger? fuck that. i wrote an email.

and...

within a few hours, i had an answer. they will be changing the copy and apologized for it. it may take a few days, but i will get an email when the change has been made. (and i will be checking). as soon as the copy is changed, i will be taking my gay, vegetarian self over to 5 Napkin Burger and enjoying the stuffing out of this veggie burger.

it's easy for me to stay quiet and stay angry. it's easy for me not to point out when people and companies fall short. it's easy for me not to give them the opportunity it to change.

but today reminds me that it is necessary for me to take the time and write the email. it is necessary for me to trust that my voice has value on whatever scale i choose to use it. it is necessary for me to support people and organizations that take their time to make change.

and all of those things, really, are fairly easy too.

so, dear readers/writers, what actions have you taken that led to positive results/changes? let's celebrate comment-style.

No comments:

Post a Comment