27 February 2009

Could I be a stay at home mom? Without kids?

Gillian Hurst lives in New York City working as an actor and writer. She is a twenty something with lots of day jobs (including research assistant analyst, scrapbooker, babysitter, secret shopper and background artist). Gillian hails from Lenox, MA and still misses the coffee shop on Main St. Gillian has many interests including Education, Travel, Cooking, Theater, Book Clubs, Green Markets, Composting and watching Martha Stewart.....Gillian is also the writer of the blog "The Life and Times of Priscilla Rosenblaum". For more www.GillianHurst.Com or http://landtofpr.blogspot.com

I was raised to be very independent. I am very independent. I am very independent in my first serious relationship. Marriage is in our future. Children are in our future. My boyfriend has a full time job. He makes money. I'm an actor. I work part-time and make no money. Since I've moved in with him.... I've profited from paying a smaller rent than I would pay on my own. We split it. But the freedom of a few hundred dollars has allowed me to act more. Though my checking and savings account are hurting. After I pay my rent this month and get a metro card- I will have ten dollars to my name til my next paycheck.

Like any rational person- I freaked out about this and got all anxious. I was looking up ways to save due to the economy and telling my boyfriend about it. He didn't seem to get why I was freaking out. I told him about my checking account and he asked me if I needed money. This was really sweet of him. I said no. Being the independent person I am- I've never been able to just accept money from someone, even my parents. And I already owe boyfriend money for our trip to Florida in April for MY Grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary.


My mother says I can't let him give me money until we are married. We've only been together a year. I've always planned on getting married someday if things worked out. But part of me wants to stop working(the tired, burned out part). Then I can focus on acting AND keep house. I think that would make me happy. But I don't know if not having my own income would make me happy.................

Neither would being a homemaker. I'm totally capable of working and contributing equally to our home. I don't want to live off another person. Thus, I like the word mom to be involved. Because taking care of kids is a big job. Wouldn't it be good to practise being a stay at home mom before the kids come??? This way I will be all prepared as to where to get the best organic veggies to make my own baby food.

At the lowest cost.... cause I'm a miser. But my hypothetical baby deserves the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment